View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
WAR WITHOUT END? 

Would you be interested in a widespread Alternate Warlord Format (reset)?
I'm game for a new format. 74%  74%  [ 67 ]
No thanks, going to stick with Warlord in an existing format (Ancients / Open / 4e) 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
It has been a good ride, but I think this is where I get off of this Warlord Merry-go-round 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 90

WAR WITHOUT END? 
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Post WAR WITHOUT END?
War Without End

I don’t know about you, but I know that I am not done with Warlord. I still enjoy playing this game. I still enjoy making decks. I still enjoy getting my jank on. I am not going to be beholden to whether or not new cards are being produced. No one can stop us from playing (and some groups never stopped playing straight up Open in the face of Campaign, Epic, and 4th editions).

While we could decide to switch wholesale to play Open format, or refine elements of the Ancients format, those formats come with some heavily entrenched ideas, strategies, and deck types – and what keeps the game interesting and exciting is variety. Without an obvious prospect for new cards to provide that variety, changing the shape of the pool is the way to go.

So here is the essential idea: We Make a New Format. With thousands of cards already printed, there are bound to be some interactions that I have missed while other cards were dominating the spotlight. We come up with a list of existing cards, probably equivalent to a base set plus an expansion or two, that will be our new pool. Within this new pool, we may discover neglected gold hiding amongst the dross, newer and deeper levels of jank, and fresh challenges.

We also have some ideas for actual new cards. Some may be simply new spins on old warlords or ideas unfullfilled (recycling art and available to print as proxies). With limited (read: Donated) funds, we want to actually print up new Overlords, Dragonlords, and even Medusan Lords (although their title may change since AEG owns that name, along with the license to print something with it).

We know how much effort goes into creating a reset list, and are reluctant to embark upon this journey in blind faith. So the question is this, if we made a new format list, would you play it? For those so inclined, would you travel (to GenCon, another city, or just to your local FLGS) to test your mettle on an unconquered field? Do you crave an age of peace? Or do you want War Without End? :war: :war: :war: :war: :war: :war: :war: :war:

(I am fully aware that I use a whole lot of "We's" in this message. Who are the we? Interested remnants and survivors of the Player Design Team, Rules Team, and Playtest teams. In other places, all Warlord players are the we. This is OUR cmmunity, and without a publisher, this becomes OUR game.)

If we get a positive response, expect at least one event at GenCon to go with the 4e send off events. and enough time ahead of time to playtest / experiment / dabble in the environment. If not, I (we) won't be offended - just throwing an idea around.

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm
Baron-Administrator Darth Crimson
Baron-Administrator Darth Crimson

Post Re: WAR WITHOUT END?
/in, obv

Kasugoan's Redemption • Slayer of the Silvered Fount • Warlord Story Team, Retired • Order of the Doomed Liver-Darth Cider • 2009 ToL Keeper Fantasy League Champion • 2010 & 2011 ToL Football Pick 'em Champion
Draven (about DP9K) wrote:
Psh, im from kentucky. I rode him for YEARS

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:48 pm
Profile YIM
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I'll do whatever it takes to keep the dream alive.... :thumbsup:

Hedge wrote:
I am sorry resto, but it is you who sucks at English.

Play some warlord, Sundays and Thursdays at:
Game On
943 Namquid Drive, Warwick, RI 02888-5139

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:54 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I'm on board, though I will say I'm pretty new to 4E as well, and a new set just came out (relatively) so I'd like to continue to play in that format for a while yet as well.

But yeah, I'm onboard with the idea :thumbsup:

Edit: Please ensure the card pool isn't too large, and make sure it has some sweet Free Kingdoms Warlords in it. kthx.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:58 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I'm not alone !!!!!!!! :banana:
Pfffffff...
New format is always welcome.
Can help you for free prize support Rich in case off. :wink:

http://www.warlordccg.kingeshop.com

Facebook Page : http://www.facebook.com/pages/WarlordCCGKingeshopcom/127316887287872

Kohit X 2011 - Best 4E Format Dwarf ^^

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Another thought, there is a big difference between part of your post (the part about effectively making a new format with cards that already exist, effectively a player run banned and restricted list) and the part where you say that you might print new cards. If you actually offer to do something like that A) Don't get sued B) Make sure they actually get sent out, the fastest way to burn yourself and your idea to the ground would be to suffer from the same problem that suffuses a whole bunch of the Warlord community. Everything takes about 2 months longer than it should (Except for Eric). And no, I don't just mean Arne.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:33 pm
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

all understood. and thank you for the interest.

the notion of printing our own cards is going to go through Zinser and AEG to make sure everything is above board. Making money is NOT going to be the focus of this operation. Some initial new Warlord notions will likely be fully legal print and play PDF's of new Warlords. Warlords do so much to define environments, and since they do not (usually) get shuffled into decks, the print quality / card stock quality / detectable thickness of a proxy is a non-factor.

just ideas we are kicking around.

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:59 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Kerebrus wrote:

the notion of printing our own cards is going to go through Zinser and AEG to make sure everything is above board. Making money is NOT going to be the focus of this operation. Some initial new Warlord notions will likely be fully legal print and play PDF's of new Warlords. Warlords do so much to define environments, and since they do not (usually) get shuffled into decks, the print quality / card stock quality / detectable thickness of a proxy is a non-factor.

That sounds fine, and in fact a bit exciting.

When you start handing out "Medusans" remember who was postin' in your thread :D

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:02 pm
Raath's End
Raath's End

SobolevKto wrote:
Kerebrus wrote:

When you start handing out "Medusans" remember who was postin' in your thread :D

Medusans aren't a reward, they're a responsibility.
I've ran well over 400 ML challenges now. I know Carter has run at least that many as well.
Being an effective runner is a lot of time commitment on the part of the player who is selected to run an ML.

Aristotle wrote:
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

Kerebrus wrote:
That Malexin and his fancy logic :hypnotized:

Emerald Dawn wrote:
Death, Taxes and The San Diego Chargers [Censor: poo] the bed when its time to come through in the clutch

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:59 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Malexin wrote:
SobolevKto wrote:
Kerebrus wrote:

Medusans aren't a reward, they're a responsibility.
I've ran well over 400 ML challenges now. I know Carter has run at least that many as well.
Being an effective runner is a lot of time commitment on the part of the player who is selected to run an ML.

I was making a bit of a joke there, but yes I understand that.

I wish the best to this plan.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:00 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Dude, you know I'm in! I say WARLORD without end!

P.S. Now that warlord has died its second death will you finally give me those f'n potion of youths!? Lucian wants to stay young forever and he can't do it without his coveted potions of youths! Why else do you think he starts as level 2? He drank too many potions. It's his crack! :D

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 pm
Initiate
Initiate

I, personally, am having so much fun with 4e, that I'd hate to see it potentially end, since I believe that it is still such a rich, strong and overall balanced format. However, I've been playing Warlord since the prerelease of Base Set, and I just can't let this game go. With that being said, I'll be aboard for whatever it takes for this game to keep going. I think we have such a strong community, that this could always keep it alive. So sign me up. :)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I'm always game for something new and fun. Now if only we could get our hands on PI unreleased promos. :)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I would like to see an organized movement to keep this game alive.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Count me in.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't. * Captain of Team Real California Cheese * Denizen of Anything * Order of the Doomed Liver - Strategic Inebriator

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next