View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Elf Signature Characters 
Raath's End
Raath's End

Post Elf Signature Characters
I would like each respondant to tell me which characters they feel are signature to this faction.

I would like you to list 2-3 Warlords and 5-7 non-Warlords that you feel properly showcase this faction. And then in a sentance or two, tell me why.

These characters can be from any set all the way from Saga of the Storm to City of Gold.

Aristotle wrote:
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

Kerebrus wrote:
That Malexin and his fancy logic :hypnotized:

Emerald Dawn wrote:
Death, Taxes and The San Diego Chargers [Censor: poo] the bed when its time to come through in the clutch

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:22 pm
Writer
Writer

Post Re: Elf Signature Characters
Giving this a sticky for a bit. Maybe it'll get some more exposure that way.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Warlords:

Tepheroth: Wizardry madness, not the strongest elf warlord but a fun one

Cathel Rowan: Toss up between him and yivalis for best elf ranged WL, but the scout trait makes a lot of difference.

Thekem Netheryn: Probably OP, but the built-in reanimation and the necro trait make for sume real fun.

Non-warlords:

Maes: Thumbs up for spell retrival

Ardanalis: Agressive undead with retrival sinergy

Moldering cur: Fast, good stats, undead, you can't really ask for more

Cyrus Netheryn More necro fun, but without being as silly as Kargaz

Kelemmen More undeads please

Eirlas Blitzy shooter, works better when necro flavoured

Vivian: Frail but damaging, how elves should be.

EL:ITE 2009 - 4e singles: Best The Chosen - Winner
Summer Campaign 2009 Padova: Best the Chosen
KoHiT 2009 - 4e singles: Best The Chosen
EL:ITE 2010- Ancient: Best Mercenary - First after swiss - Winner
EL:ITE 2010- 4e doubles: Best Free Kingdom - First after swiss - Second palce
KoHiT 2010 - 4e doubles: Best Nothrog - Winner

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:56 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

The way I see it elves really have three things going for them. I'll break them down as such:

Blitz & Ranged:
Jigoral - Signature starter since Saga. Front rank shooty. Slightly stable.

Amatria Tansiq - Quintessential Tansiq character, blitzy.

Vivian - Fragile. Hard hitting. Fast. Perfect elf.

Necro / Recurrsion (spells and people):

Docnessuno covered this admiribly.

Water:

Its a new trait to the elves but honestly, I like it. I don't have any experience so I'll leave other people to comment there.

Religion and churches are horrible things thought up by humans to judge and persecute those whom are not of their religion. They allow for fanatics to ruin a perfectly good faith by taking out extreme actions in the name of their god.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:22 am
Profile YIM
Command Staff
Command Staff

The elves most defining characteristics are their affinity for death and sacrifice and thier reliance on agility and speed rather than power. I think they're represented best by the following:

Ophinuchus: He uses healing to hurt people, nuff said.
Rathe: Fast and versatile
Rustiq Umbala: Priest of the Undead

Kelemmen
Bone Golem
Tresven
Cyrus Netheryn
Nothiel Elestra
Vivian
Bone Fiend

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:27 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

While not all of these are necessarily balanced properly, it's -what- they do that I feel is Elven, not the strength of what they do. The idea, not the detailed mechanics.

Soma and Javvyn. I loved that mechanic. Elves can't lay down a ton of damage to cut through thick ranks, so they take shortcuts. See also Paradigm Shift. And Eiyamon, for fun with that.

Saliel, Atheris, Flesh Feeder, Vehdred, Crimson Rigel, Srykin. The vampiric aspect of the Elves, stealing the vitality of the opponent, getting stronger from his death.

Kelemmen, Ayaaba Waverunner, Krya Squib, Skyyrek, even Aquiela. Dark Monolith, a great example of what a level 5 Elf should be like. Elves aren't tough, so recursion so they don't just die. Of course you can blitz to avoid that problem, but no faction should be forced into a decktype like that. And things like Ardanaalis to take advantage of the recursion.

Baracuuda, Feyd Rowan, Remorna, Kelemmen. Using the discard piles, both yours and the opponent's, as a resource. See also Ivory Scepter, Shroud of Lost Souls, etc.

Fayed Dythanus, Corsis, and Remorna. Recursion not just for characters, but for spells as well.

Keira Syneri. Using the opponent's resources against him.

Bescez, Brack Ghast, D'nath, Ninifaeer. Stealthy Elves. Again, they can't just cleave through ranks, so they go to the source.

Jaridesse, The Hungry Dead, Sachiel. Characters that take advantage of the opponent's weakness. Oh, you're spent/stunned/poisoned/whatever? Well then, it's that much easier to hurt you. You try to avoid spending/stunning/etc? Well then, you're slowing yourself down.

Achilleus, Lord Winter, even Zephiros. I thought the idea of undead ethereal deathknights back from beyond the grave was great, and liked the frost motif that Winter inspired in the rest of them.

Amatria Tansiq, Lathos, Eiyamon, Javvyn, Ophinuchus, Tybast. Punishing the opponent for doing anything. Elves excel at making the opponent's choices difficult. Do I swing at Lathos and risk getting smacked back? Do I kill Javvyn and make my ranks less stable, or whether the continued strikes from her until I'm in a better position? Do I kill Tybast and make my life harder later, or leave him for now? Do I stun my character forward to shore up my ranks, when Eiyamon will get a shot on him and Etra will move up one of his own characters?

Morghen Dythanus. Ichærus. Lord Winter. Coreos Bodach. Anything Ethereal. Anything that is a horrible crime against nature, a thing that should not be, a bizarre abomination that only the Elves would come up with. Not shambling undead and bone creatures, but spectres and living shadows and arcane monoliths and terrors from the deep and living nightmares and embodiments of concepts that want you dead and dead gods and so on. The Elves need more weird stuff. Obviously make it distinct from the daemons, but there's certainly enough ideas to work with out there.

There are other aspects to them, of course. Archery, particularly with Marksmanship. Quick rogues like Rathe. Discard mechanics to make it easier to use meta. And I don't think any of these, and the others, are bad, I don't dislike them, it's just the rest really comes to me when I think of what it is I like about my faction.

Edit: rereading your original post I find I posted, well, too many Elves. Oops. Hopefully it still gives you a good idea of the concepts I'm trying to get across, though.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:31 am
Profile ICQ
Nekomancer
Nekomancer

I enjoyed reading that ahriman ^_^

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Ahriman wrote:
A bunch of stuff.

I wish I wrote that.

I would like to add that I think somewhere in there should be Andeel Smirti. While specifically maybe the mechanic is a bit bad, the idea is spot on for diminishing an opponent in unique ways. And also as close to an alternate victory condition that I think should be in. Two ways to win: wounds and decreasing the opponent's warlord's level to zero or less.

kthx.

Malexin wrote:
There is a food chain. I am on top of it.

Malexin wrote:
...seed your tomato, for the love of god, seed your tomatoes...

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Well thank you, melon.

And yeah, I was actually going over, yesterday, which Warlord is the "archetype" for each Faction/Class pair.
For instance, Priam, to me, is what a Dwarf Cleric should be. Encourages healing, keeps your ranks stable, and speeds up your normally slow Dwarves nicely without doing something like giving them additional strikes and stealing the FreeKs' thing.
And I realized that Andeel is pretty much what an Elf Cleric (well, a non-undead-focused, non-druid one) should be, just that he didn't do it well.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I think one aspect of Elf goodness that was grossly overlooked is card draw. While it may not be as true anymore, at one time they were king of decking in 2 turns or less.

Behlial and a Seer TOO! :hypnotized:

Daedelia
Elemere
Hassimal

Even though he was brought up before, I believe he should be mentioned again
Morghen Dythanus / Morghen the Unliving

Necromancers are what Elves are, and he is just sick :drool: :vomit:
What other wizard WL runs up to the front and punches ppl in the face?

Anything Undead or Ethereal could be added to the list as well, although now that Astral/Ethereal have been lumped together into Planar, it is just not as cool, imo. Still, if it isn't undead, it is likely to be a ghost if it is fielded by the elves.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Location: around the corner waiting for you to go the way of the dodo.
So, posting now for the first time again in a few years. I never was too much of an elf player but I remember

Warlords:
Feyd Rowan - cleric tricks, wizard tricks, rogue tricks, undead and necro, ethereal, huge skill, ranged strikes + graveyard manipulation; the only thing keeping him from being perfect is that he's level 4
Cairbre Netheryn - rogue assassin with good stats plus the ability to turn any cards in-hand into a mini misear diplomacy/spending tech = win!

Non-Warlords:
Eirlas - always useful archrer
Ametria - great front rank
Edonal Rowan - great diversity
dex glyn - good synergy with fragile chars causing unstable ranks

Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]