View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Elves of 4E: Acanothropis 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post The Elves of 4E: Acanothropis

Hi. I'm Zeath, and I stole this setup from Bach. I'm going to be setting up posts like this for all of the new Warlords to get people talking about them. :yes:

Please fill in the blanks in the posts below, and I'll edit it into this post.

Description
Flavorful description of this Warlord. Include links to high placing tournament decklists.

Common Deck Styles
1. All-in Poison Blitz: Only essential characters and no defense, this plays almost like a 6-man deck. Acano will be doing all the damage, decimating the army with Plague Bombs and smacking the Warlord with Poison checks left and right. See nilonkas deck in this thread.
2. Rogue Supporting cast: Make some more use of the higher level Rogues to take some heat off Acano. Not as fast, but not as gambling.
3. UBER: Oddly well suited to this, given his innate scribe and the benefits he gains from various items. Suit up with the highest level Rogue items, and then bounce into his ranks with a full suite of unstoppable Poison actions.

Card Pool
[Cards marked with a "*" are staple uncommon or common cards, found in almost any style of Acanothropis deck]
Common Starts

Characters
Skeleton Warrior: Auto wound a front rank character. Any character, since you can hand out the Poison trait at a whim. You run 3x of this.
Tyyphera: Skill debuff via discard. 3x if you have her.
Zara: #1 way to reuse Plague Bomb.
Treyik: Free discard! Not quite an auto-include (he is just a level 1 after all), but close.
Orlanon: Hey, that's the nastiest blitzy non starter out there.
Ebal: Rankless stun, at a decent DC if you have a Tyyphera down.
Kornell Calix: Nice to discard.
Undead Sahuagin, Indariel, Flesh Feeder: Higher level Poison Elf rogues. They all need to be in the front rank to do anything, so they're for a the supporting style.
Suul: is a special mention, since he can get his shots off when he enters play.
The Lost Bride: Deck thinning with a free character. .
Pridayn Glyn: Shadowborn Harness is, notably, not unique.

Actions
Plague Bomb: What makes Acano so scary. Via Acano's text, this targets all opposing characters within two ranks. The react is just gravy.
Hungry Spirits: Your best bet for spending Acano is the superior Plague Bomb, but this is a close second. Combined with your various DC boosters/debuffers, this can easily become a DC 21 or more (max is around 29!) from 3 ranks away.
Decompose: The redheaded step child of the Poison spend orders. It's quite good, but the other two are better.
Misear Diplomacy, Tainted Wine: Order Poison. Mis Dip is mostly great for being anti-recursion, and Tainted Wine benefits greatly from your DC check enhancers
Wigglewort Poison: Two rank melee strike, and they stack.
Sting Of The Lion Fish: If you never played prior to 4e (or even Epic), you may not know the power of Exhaustion. This isn't quite as powerful, but nearly so. Lock down that WL until he drowns in Poison DCs.
Moment of Reflection: New Scribe action card. #2 way to reuse Plague Bomb.
Master Poisoner: More deck thinning. Get to Plague Bomb sooner
Market Day: #3 way to reuse Plague Bomb
Thimblerig, Submerge, Leap of The Clouds: Rogue movement, in order of desirability.
Fancy Footwork: If you can make room for defensive actions, this is the only one really worth your time (though Prey On The Hunter is just plain fun if you get a lot of Wizards in your play area)

Items
Coils of Cobra: Obvious
Gloves of The Fang: Ditto (note the super easy extra scribe check to boot)
Diadem of Contagion: Gravy poison checks are good.
Daemon Bile: Perhaps if you're doing some janky Perpetual Pouch retrieval...but honestly too random to be worth a slot.
Shadow Token: Running only one defensive item? This is it.
Jewel Spider Web: With your debuffs, this is Power Word: Kill level of protection. Also note Poison save.
Cloudracer, Riding Dog, Giant Toad, : Steeds in order of desirability. Acano cares more for being in position than for being able to bounce around, hence the Toad being last.
Dragonbone Cuirass: Single target death w/Wigglewort Poison. Best for rogue support style.
Shadowborn Harness: If you're going for badass uber, this is your ticket.
Mask Of Past Lives: Save even more action cards for your eventual entrance into his ranks.

Tournament Decklists

2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)

Last edited by Zeath on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:06 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: The Elves of 4E: Acanothropis
Thanks for doing this Zeath. I can not wait to see what post follow as i have not been this excited about playing a new warlord since lop. I just love everything about this guy.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:23 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I think it goes without saying that this guy is going to love using the various poison actions that rogues can use. Though I have a feeling that people will be using the same ones over and over: Misear Diplomacy and Plague Bomb. A DC 20 for is hard to make, and Zara can use it if you want to multi-wound with it, and hitting an entire two ranks if you're in the front with a DC 18 for a wound is awesome.

I started working on a deck with him today. It's looking slightly slow with not so much movement, but I want to try it out.

Staring Army:

2x Amatria Tansiq
Soulless Scavenger
Shadith Glyn
The Biting West Wind
Acanothropis

Characters:

3x Tyyphera
3x Zara
2x Treyik
3x Undead Sahuagin
3x Ciane
2x Kornell Calix
2x Suul (likely going to change these for either Tresven or Orlanon)

Actions:

3x Thimblerig
3x Misear Diplomacy
2x Plague Bomb
2x Tainted Wine
2x Submerge
2x Reconnaissance (Can pretty much plague bomb the opponents whole army while in their front rank. Slight jank though)

Items:

3x Riding Dog (Just to test it out.)
2x Coils of Cobra
2x Gloves of the Fang
2x Diadem of Contagion
3x Shadow Token

It's a little less defensive then most front line rogues, but I think it will do some decent damage to people. Extra items can be discarded to poison people, which helps if you have Kornell in the discard and for things like Tainted Wine. At first glance I think it might still need work, but I can't wait to test it out.

2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)

Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:52 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Zeath wrote:
Staring Army:

2x Amatria Tansiq
Soulless Scavenger
Shadith Glyn
The Biting West Wind
Acanothropis

Characters:

3x Tyyphera
3x Zara
2x Treyik
3x Undead Sahuagin
3x Ciane
2x Kornell Calix
2x Suul (likely going to change these for either Tresven or Orlanon)

Actions:

3x Thimblerig
3x Misear Diplomacy
2x Plague Bomb
2x Tainted Wine
2x Submerge
2x Reconnaissance (Can pretty much plague bomb the opponents whole army while in their front rank. Slight jank though)

Items:

3x Riding Dog (Just to test it out.)
2x Coils of Cobra
2x Gloves of the Fang
2x Diadem of Contagion
3x Shadow Token

Looks a lot like what I came up with. This guy LOVES the Undead Sahuagin. I also squeezed in Sting of the Lionfish because some foes just need to be stunned in order to handle them properly.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:43 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I think thimblerig is important. The deck will not be very fast so your enemy gets to set up shop too. So getting to set upand then blow up is going to be huge. Plus you can pitch it to hiss order or scribe it. Nice touch. I would have to play this deck out to see what I think but on paper it looks fairly decent. I don't know if he will change the evnvironment or not but I just dig this warlord.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Zeath wrote:
.... and hitting an entire two ranks if you're in the front with a DC 18 for a wound is awesome.

Where are you getting this awesomeness? I would read it differently that he can target a rank two ranks away, not both ranks within two ranks with his ability and the Plague Bomb. Is there a ruling on this yet?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:18 pm
Initiate
Initiate

Doesn't Plague Bomb read: "Target all characters within one rank..." And then Acanothropis read poision actions may target an additional rank away, making it effectively read "Target all characters within two ranks..."?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I read it one addtional rank meaning sit in the second rank and dish out poison to there front rank. Not sit in the front rank and hit all characters within two ranks. If he was in the front he could choose to make their second rank do the checks. So he can dc snipe support worlords by using stealth and making their third rank characters do dc checks from his opponets front rank. That's how I read it anyways.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:44 am
Initiate
Initiate

Hum. I see your point, but wouldn't it read like Tsunami does, with 'Target all characters in a rank within two ranks'. If were to work like that?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:18 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Well I am not the authority on this stuff. I justassumedit was to be played a certain way. I could be wrong but I think I have it correct. It"sone of the warlords plague. No way of looking up the terms on the card and getting the correct reading. This stuff has improved but still it's not so clear on many a card.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:54 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

We have been playing it as it hits an entire rank, but he can pick which one. Hitting the entire span would be a massive shift!

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:08 pm
Initiate
Initiate

I posted the question in Rules section, and got Melon saying it is intended to target all characters within two ranks.

I think that is good enough for me. 8)

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:32 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Swootage! Massive poison bomb!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:39 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

So this changes how to play him then. No need to run to the front when you can hit his first and second rank from your second rank. Am I correct here?

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Rupert wrote:
So this changes how to play him then. No need to run to the front when you can hit his first and second rank from your second rank. Am I correct here?

Looks like it hits the opposing front rank from your second, or the opposing front and second rank from your front. Still very, very good either way.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next