View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
Warlord needs a facelift 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: Warlord needs a facelift
I've updated the Action and Item templates. Let me know what you think.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

To smooth, needs more edges and somehow doesn't feel warlordish at all, but this might just be the art ;)

Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:37 am
Warlord
Warlord

I've been trying to think of something good for the past few days. The main problem is, warlord cards were already designed in almost the most efficient way possible. There really isn't much you could do without making them MORE confusing to the player. Feats would become a hassle because there are so many, so the words are all that could work. Classes, they're simple outlines of shapes that relate to the class. The only way to really redo cards and make them FEEL like warlord would be to just update the look of the symbols. At that point though, there really isn't much of a facelift going on. :?

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Initiate
Initiate

Rayzer730 wrote:
I've been trying to think of something good for the past few days. The main problem is, warlord cards were already designed in almost the most efficient way possible. There really isn't much you could do without making them MORE confusing to the player. Feats would become a hassle because there are so many, so the words are all that could work. Classes, they're simple outlines of shapes that relate to the class. The only way to really redo cards and make them FEEL like warlord would be to just update the look of the symbols. At that point though, there really isn't much of a facelift going on. :?

:agree:

After looking though this thread, i reckon there are some quite good ideas but as Rayzer said, the cards are actually designed in pretty much the most efficient way possible. Despite this though, the item design that was posted about 3 posts back is very good and i'd quite like to see items look more like this. Maybe you could try making action cards in this style? because i reckon that'd look quite good.

"To be forgotten is worse then death" - Freya

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:55 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Its obvious that as an Economist major I have a VERY different idea of what is considered efficient. When efficient you cannot have any waste and the warlord cards have a lot of waste; there are large areas of dead space, feats are contained in the text area which is valueable real estate (especially long feats like Magic Resistance and Marksmanship are big culprits, the art is small and confined to roughly 35% of the card area. The list goes on. I'm trying to alleviate these problems while refreshing the look of the cards.

The warlord cards lack strong visual cues that identify it as a professional ccg. The lack Magic's clean use of space, L5R distinctive card recognition and Warmachines effective iconography. I'm sorry if this doesn't please everyone, but when a new player picks up the cards the look at them and the game screams "I'm old, tired and on my last leg", if we want to hook new players the cards need visual appeal. If the powers that be don't agree with this then I understand but I'm just trying to help out however I can.

I've got some fresh ideas working right now so when I get them finished I'll post them up.

Thank you all for your feedback thus far and I look forward to hearing more from you.

-Geoff

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 am
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Alright this is where I'm at now. I'm really liking the way this look visually while getting all the important information across. This way the card can be placed up and to the left of the attached character with all the important information being shown at a glance.

Feedback always appreciated.

-Geoff

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Spammer Supreme
Spammer Supreme

Very cool, but how come you put the Skill at the bottom? Maybe for items the picture could be lower and you could put all the bonus icons across the top under the card name. Don't most people put the items under the characters with the name showing at the top?

Nah Zaxdad is just that good he doesn't even have to post in a thread to win it. :rofl:
-Geoff

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:27 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Complete remake of actions.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

I must say that i would really like to see so much art on the card. That's probably something that could really be done. The other stuff... I think it's easier to have the feats written down on the card instead of symbols. I think it's harder for beginners to remember all those symbols, and it makes the general layout of a card to crowded.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:52 pm
Spammer Supreme
Spammer Supreme

Solitaris wrote:
I must say that i would really like to see so much art on the card. That's probably something that could really be done. The other stuff... I think it's easier to have the feats written down on the card instead of symbols. I think it's harder for beginners to remember all those symbols, and it makes the general layout of a card to crowded.

Changing things to symbols is what gives the room for more art... I don't think it would be that confusing and maybe they could print a simple card with a key on it the way AEG made a quick reference card with starters. :shrug:

Nah Zaxdad is just that good he doesn't even have to post in a thread to win it. :rofl:
-Geoff

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:06 pm
Warlord
Warlord

I would suggest for the action cards, use that burnt scroll type text box, but keep the normal layout otherwise. Would it be possible to email me that file so I can mess around with it. I have a few ideas I would like to test with it.

Email - Rayzer730@aol.com

:)

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Last one for a bit. I've updated the character icon so it will be universal across all factions. Instead I moved the faction logo to being behind the text box. It should remain visible there for determining faction. This really shows off how much room has been gained in the text box too.

I can't mail the PSD due to its ridiculous size right now. I'll have to upload it somewhere.

:sarcasm: Besides why would you need it, i thought the cards were fine as they are?

-Geoff

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Things I like: The additional art room is sweet, and is something WL should have changed over to years ago. I also like the new class symbols.

Things I don't like: The overall feel seems...somehow not Warlord. Too Japanese card game, somehow. Kind of a gut reaction to the text box layout. I also agree with Ray; feat symbols are probably not a good idea. Too many of them. Plus, there's no need for symbols for them...since not every card (perhaps half or less) actually has feats, and they're just added confusion.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:01 pm
Death of the Daemons
Death of the Daemons

GhedJennar wrote:
Last one for a bit. I've updated the character icon so it will be universal across all factions. Instead I moved the faction logo to being behind the text box. It should remain visible there for determining faction. This really shows off how much room has been gained in the text box too.

I can't mail the PSD due to its ridiculous size right now. I'll have to upload it somewhere.

:sarcasm: Besides why would you need it, i thought the cards were fine as they are?

-Geoff

ok, i really really really like that design.

one small fix, I think the faction symbols (like you had on earlier characters) would be better than having the llyr militia artwork to show its a charecter.

knowing it is a dev is enough to know its a character

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:09 pm
Death of the Daemons
Death of the Daemons

nvm, i didn't notice the faction logo in the back.

i like it more :-D

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next