View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Nin-Gula: the basics 
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
nope Ygrassyne is a "one or more in play"

but their clericness and cantorness is important.

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:30 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

3 Ygrassene

3 Ring of the Savant

3 Lift Up Your Voices
3 Embolden

You will have an army with +10-15 Atk/Ac every turn after 1.

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:37 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Iceman wrote:
If you don't run Embolden, then the start you have is the way to go - you're going to want the best AC you can get for your front line.

Then why not run Embolden? It would boost their AC by 5. Lift up your voices doesn't touch that start because they are good and miss fatty britches is evil.

Iceman wrote:
I like both cards for this deck, to be honest. But I run trips of Ygrassyne and one Mistress Dagani so there are plenty of casters. Oh, and Master Ashtaroth is awesome at getting your guys their boosts asap.

I made the deck and put in 3x Ygrassyne. Still no Mistress Dagani or Master Ashtaroth though. I'm going to try to find room for Ashtaroth I think, tho so far it's run pretty well without him.

Iceman wrote:
I don't find Master Nax to be all that great in Nin-Gula. :shrug:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I love him out of Nin-Gula!

Finished the deck and played it a bit, so far it's really fun to play though slightly slow on killing my own thralls to buff up Firam. When he gets big he's nearly impossible to deal with, but that takes forever (The only people killing thralls are Nin and Master Nax so far).

3x Mitrasz
2x Kalih
Nin-Gula

3x Redu Tam
3x Redu Carr
3x Redu Firam
1x Yil-Grayl
3x The Seed
3x Master Naxagoras
3x Ygrassyne

3x Embolden
2x Cauterize
1x Defiant
3x Song of Strength
2x Minor Miracle
2x Revigorate

3x Backbiter
3x Griffon of Misear
1x Totem Crawler
1x Stormwolf
1x Ring of the Savant
1x Canticle
1x Fields of Sorrow
1x Hod's Legacy

I felt that taking the devoted out of the deck to make room for 2 more Ygrassene would be a good idea. I usually find myself killing them half the time for Nin'a ability on the other thralls though. So far I got to play three games with her and it's been very fun to play. Can't wait to get more testing in with her.

2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Why Nax? He's not a Cleric and his stats are pretty weak. At a glance, I'd change this:

-3 Master Naxagoras
-1 The Seed
+1 Getraxos or the new level 5 Master Asthastos or w/e
+1 Mistress Sanai (everyone's a thrall, readying on tap)
+1 Mistress Dagani (level 5 caster)
+1 Master Mardu (nice buffer)

-3 Song of Strength
-2 Revigorate
-2 Cauterize
-2 Minor Miracle
+3 Purify (people in your army will stun for sure)
+3 Lift Up Your Voices (Ygrassane goes to town)
+1 Defiant (interesting card, i might run x2 Speed of the Falcon instead)
+2 Return to Us! (you will lose valuable characters early due to being slow)

-1 Totem Crawler (no)
-3 Griffon of Misear (why)
+1 Fields of Sorrow (too good)
+2 Ring of the Savant (don't make the mistake of forgetting the +1 level to cast scribed spells, easily scribe spells to recast with LUYV skill bonus)
+1 Blessed Bangle (unstun stuff, like the seed or anything)

That makes the deck a lot more difficult to deal with later. You'll lose some stabilization earlier due to losing your healing, but you have a crazy set-up mid to late with LUYV and Embolden being cast multiple times per turn. Imagine your front ranks with +15 ATK/AC from spells, permanent bonuses from Gula, Readying, multi-wounding, recursion, etc. The Rings of the Savant are so needed to be at x3 in this deck. Imagine casting Return to Us 2-3 times in a later turn. This deck will peak with the best of them.

nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:57 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Woodrow wrote:

Why Nax?

Because +14/+12, 18AC, 3HP makes Powerattack on a 4.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:56 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

The Wheat can have those stats too. I dont get it. :shrug:

nilonka wrote:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:24 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Oremm wrote:
Woodrow wrote:

Why Nax?

Because +14/+12, 18AC, 3HP makes Powerattack on a 4.

This. Thank you Oremm.

Woodrow wrote:
The Wheat can have those stats too. I dont get it. :shrug:

The Wheat will lose those stats at the end of the turn with the way you see it. Those stats for Nax are permanent. They can only get higher with spells, but once you use Nin-Gula's order and his order those are his stats until he's dead. Also you can turn him into a thrall with Ygrassyne, then he'll get his own bonus as well as Kalih, granted if she's still alive.

It still needs more testing, since so far I've only played against one deck a few times. One thing I'm likely going to change is taking out a The Seed for either Master Ashtaroth or Master Mardu.

Woodrow wrote:
-3 Griffon of Misear (why)

Everyone that needs to be up front, with the exception of Yil, is a fighter. This is react speed movement when my ranks fall, normal movement otherwise, and extra atk. You put it on Carr and kill a thrall to buff him and he'll be in the front with +10/+9 18 AC and ready, add one to all those numbers if you kill a lvl 3 or higher. What's not to like about it?

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Kerebrus wrote:
nope Ygrassyne is a "one or more in play"

I am sad faced . . . :cry:

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:34 am
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Zeath wrote:
Iceman wrote:
If you don't run Embolden, then the start you have is the way to go - you're going to want the best AC you can get for your front line.

Then why not run Embolden? It would boost their AC by 5. Lift up your voices doesn't touch that start because they are good and miss fatty britches is evil.

Hmm, looks like an edit-goof. Shoulda been "If you don't run Lift and do run Embolden" or something.

Quote:
Iceman wrote:
I don't find Master Nax to be all that great in Nin-Gula. :shrug:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I love him out of Nin-Gula!

True, he has impressive stats. But I have found he doesn't contribute much to the main cause - he comes in in the 4th and he's as hungry to eat a thrall as Nin is, which can be a hindrance. I just like a couple other characters better (Dagani and Ash, to be clear), so he always comes out of my deck in favor of one of them.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:54 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Played Nin-Gula at the RI winter campaign, and got top 8! Lost to the winner of the event right after though, who was using my Sir Robert of Andover deck and played it better then I could. :lol:

3x Mitrasz
2x Kalih
Nin-Gula

Characters:

3x Redu Tam
3x Redu Carr
3x Redu Firam
1x Yil-Grayl
2x The Seed
3x Master Naxagoras
3x Ygrassyne
1x Master Ashtaroth

Actions:

3x Embolden
2x Cauterize
1x Defiant
3x Song of Strength
2x Minor Miracle
2x Revigorate

Items:

3x Backbiter
3x Griffon of Misear
1x Totem Crawler
1x Stormwolf
1x Ring of the Savant
1x Canticle
1x Fields of Sorrow
1x Hod's Legacy

Round 1: Nin-Gula vs. Vash-Arrosh (Snake13) Tie 1-1

Before the event started I overheard that he made a Vash deck, and I mentioned that I would love to actually see the new warlord in action. He took that into heart and picked him for the tournament. Vash was fast and furious, and game one he constantly forgot to react with Wizzwhir and it ended up costing him the game. Second game was more of a [Censor: dog] slap then a match where I got destroyed pretty fast. Game three was pretty evenly matched, but it ended in time when he started to really get a foothold on Nin and was getting ready to kill her.

Round 2: Nin-Gula vs. Grilt Fenstalker (unknown) Win 2-0

Game one went pretty quick with me getting characters and getting them up quickly, he not getting so lucky. Game two he had SOOOOOO many reacts to every melee strike I sent his way and he was getting my thralls killed pretty quickly. Right when time was about to be called I got the kill strike on Grilt.

Round 3: Nin-Gula vs. Drasek Berenj (Omrac77) Tie 0-0

First hand neither of us drew a single character! From there we both slowly got characters up and running. In the end it was cleric cav on cleric cav. Between healing and high AC on both ends the game went to time because neither of us could kill the others characters quick enough.

Round 4: Nin-Gula vs. Serif Al Havoc (SobolevKto) Win 2-1

This match was pretty tough because I kept forgetting that Serif gave his other characters built in Beyond the Grave when he's up front. A few times I would think "Serif's AC is too high, I'll hit Jethro who has a common blade so he doesn't multiwound me...oh look, he's STILL swinging on me! I'm an idiot" Game one went like that and I lost. Game two was the complete opposite with me getting my bigger thralls upfront swinging quickly. Game 3 was a little harder fought, but in the end really big thralls with backbiters ended him.

Round 5: Nin-Gula vs. King Alaric (meatloafman91) Tie 1-1

I HATE going against this deck! He ends up getting so many strikes at very high atk, usually for 2-3 wounds a piece every game. Game one went that way very quickly, and I was getting a bit discouraged knowing that it was the last round. Game two I pulled out a win with multiwounding thralls and some healing. Game three we both took our time to plan out our plays, and time was eventually called. We continued playing, trying to ignore the fact that we just had a tie. We ended the game for food at this point, not knowing who would have won. I think if time wasn't called that he would have gotten me though. It would have been down to init and he still had 2x Wall on his side.

Top 8: Nin-Gula vs. Sir Robert of Andover (Truth) Loss 1-2

My deck against my deck on top 8. I couldn't have asked for better. Game one I smash him, mainly with Redu Carr buffed and backbiter'ed. Game two and three Sir Robert and Stanley go to town all over my army. I think Stanley got around 9-12 strikes in the last game due to being readied so many times.

End result after Swiss: 2W/3T/0L, 7th place
After Top: 7th place
OLs won: None

Overall the event was simply amazing! My biggest problem with the deck I used though was the fact that it goes to time more often then outright wins.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:59 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Zeath wrote:
Lost to the winner of the event right after though, who was using my Sir Robert of Andover deck and played it better then I could. :lol:

Fish did that to me last year around the same time. :lol:

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:44 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Woodrow wrote:
3 Ygrassene

3 Ring of the Savant

3 Lift Up Your Voices
3 Embolden

You will have an army with +10-15 Atk/Ac every turn after 1.

This right here. And Yil-Grayl is also a Cantor, because we needed more silliness. Here's what I've cooked up - guys get to the front quickly, then swing with ATK in the high teens/low 20's. Lilith's DC check can get scary.

Mitrasz x3
Kalih x2
Lady Gluttony

3x Ygrassyne
3x Lilith
3x Redu Tam
3x Bixvrexe
3x Bar'rax
3x Nisroch
1x Yil-Grayl

3x Tyrantslayer
2x Ring of the Savant
1x Stormwolf
1x Fields of Sorrow
1x Fountain of Tears
1x Corvus

3x Soothing Waters
3x Final Blessing
3x Embolden
3x Lift Up Your Voices
2x Minor Miracle
2x Invoke Entropy

EDIT: Minor tweak. Fields of Sorrow is pretty snazzy in here. Between the buffs and the healing, there's time to set it up and get the payoff.

Mon May 21, 2012 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3