View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Chosen of 4e: Atiratu 
Command Staff
Command Staff

Post The Chosen of 4e: Atiratu

Hi. I'm Bach. I don't play The Chosen.

But you do.

Please fill in the blanks in the posts below, and I'll edit it into this post.

Description
Flavorful description of this Warlord. Include links to high placing tournament decklists.

Common Deck Styles

Card Pool
[Cards marked with a "*" are staple uncommon or common cards, found in almost any style of Atiratu deck]
Common Starts

Characters

Actions

Items

Tournament Decklists
Mattoon Winter Campaign 2009 Winner, piloted by Iceman.
New York Winter Campaign 2011 3rd place, piloted by Patrick Winter.

Last edited by Bach on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 pm
n00b
n00b

Post Re: The Chosen of 4e: Atiratu
Same as the Galem Reth post. I will be back with the correct post.
I am sure Telepath can do better for her then me, but I have experienced enough to provide feedback.
Until later, or if Telepath can do it first thats fine.
I mainly play Reth and Gula after all.
- M.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:45 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Most common way to play her is daemon ranch calvary. I'll see if I can dig up some of the older decklists to fill in here.

Less obvious is Pago-bomb. My original pet project deck. I'll be looking to rework it with the new cards and seeing what I can pull off with it.

Last edited by Fade on Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:21 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Starting Army:
The Wheat
The Devoted
Pazu-Gara
The Earth
Nish-Bakr
Atiratu

This line up is selected because is allows you to put forth one of the most offensive line-up's possible without entirely collapsing your ranks when you play Pago. Ideally, you will go first and you will have Pago in hand, or I Call Forth Valor (ICFV.) When Pago enters play, you select The Devoted, The Wheat, and The Earth as the thralls you will be sacrificing. The most important thing to remember here is that you must sac The Wheat before The Earth. This allows you to play The Wheat right back into the front rank when you use The Earth's react. The Devoted replaces himself. Pago moves to the front.

This leaves you with a front rank of Devoted, Wheat, P-G, and Pago. In your second rank you will have Nish-Bakr who should now have 3 charge tokens on him.

If you go second, chances are, Pazu bit the dust since most people will want to get him out of the picture before you can pump him up. No worries. You still select The Devoted, The Wheat, and The Earth to be sacrificed to Pago. It doesn't really matter what order you put them in as long as you don't create an illegal rank that would force Pago forward (this is something to pay attention to if you don't draw Pago or ICFV and have to play characters to hold ranks for a turn.) You will be getting Pazu back with The Earth and playing him next to Pago when you feel it's most advantageous to you.

Actions:
3x I Call Forth Valor
3x Flame Arrows
1x Summon Stone
3x Onslaught
3x Thrust
3x Outmatched
3x Bloodthirsty
2x Massacre
2x Improved Bull Rush
2x Beyond The Grave

...quick update to actions will get back with items a characters whenever I can

Last edited by Fade on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:27 pm
Initiate
Initiate

of all chosen warlords i play her least... she was the first chosen deck i made and i did her SOOOOO poorly lol. i'm working on her now, but just as a joke for the promo daemons (fors, phraistos, takaxras)i'm considering some actual ideas for her though.

(although meatloafman is a close second cause he plays dwarfs =P)

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:15 pm
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Description
Atiratu is a summoner warlord first and a wizard second. She plays a very 'we' style, usually w/ some sort of Daemon-focused army. The goal with her, in almost any version, is to overwhelm your opponent with superior creatures as fast as possible.

Common Deck Styles
1. Pago-bomb (roughly described above)
Get one impressive character into the front rank ready on your first action. Win from there.

2. Daemon rush
Bring out and move up 3rd, 4th and 5th level Daemons, utilizing her summoning ability to retrieve whichever one you didn't draw (or have the perfect sacrifice for). Use a good amount of movement spells over steeds. Burn your deck to get your characters into play as fast as possible.
This is the most common deck and the one I generally lay out below. (( I've played it to a tournament win and about a play-mistake away from a second. )) Often runs more than 50 cards since you have built-in draw, especially when it's two more characters and two Improvisation or Meet at the Inn.

3. Uber-Daemon drop
Very similar to the rush deck, except the character base and some of the actions/items are a little more defensive, as your goal is to get the 7th, 8th and 9th level Daemons into play. Getting one or more of these beasts up to the front ready (entirely doable, honestly) in the second turn is your goal. Win from there.

Card Pool
Common Starts
The Devoted, Forest People x2, The Earth, The Plentiful
FP can often gain enough levels to bring out a level 5 Daemon by himself.
Plentiful is nice for the 2hp rank-holding, but watch out for Distrust.

The Devoted, Darkspawn x2, Winti x2
Since your dropping Daemons, the spawn quickly become great rank-holders. And Winti is guaranteed one strike, if not two, depending on how she is sac'ed.

Pazu-gara, Darkspawn x2, The Earth x2 (or one Plentiful)
When you don't want to use deck-slots for a second or third Devoted, Pazu is the perfect replacement since he'll be so tough to kill. I like double Earth here so that I'm guaranteed to have a ready Pazu when Pago comes into play.

Characters
Pagophoros
As'sa
Redu Tam
The Seed
Master Naxagoras (not a Daemon, but can trigger kill-reacts for Tam, cast Phantom Steed, and is a 3-hp beast)
Ygrassyne (not as crucial to this deck as to others, but still useful)
Getraxos
Raging Hungerer
Master Ezdeha (also not a daemon, but a 5th level caster that has its own movement and whose strikes cannot be canceled)

Alternatives:
Yil-Grayl (personally, I love him. But not everyone likes the deck milling aspect)
Bixvrexe (not as strong as the 4th levels, but requires the same 'sac' to retrieve from deck)
Aimonos (generally upstaged by hungerer, ezdeha and a 2nd getraxos)
Flayer of Dreams (ditto)

Actions
Phantom Steed
Soul Transfer
Teleport
Uncertain Path
Sudden Reversal
I Call Forth Valor
Disintegrate (Fists of Kor is your bane)

Items
Ring of Vorn
Flying Carpet
Griffon of Misear
Camel
Wyvern Gem
Living History
Shroud of Lost Souls
Ivory Scepter
Darkwood Staff
Staff of Storage

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:54 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

^Thats defintiely a good write-up :)

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

The main problem with Atiratu right now is that there are waaay too many ways to screw this specific deck type over than there used to be. At the start of 4E she was a monster, there's no doubt about it, even with the need to eat ready Thralls.

But now, there are ways to bounce the big characters back to her hand, ignore planar, cancel the movement this deck relies on, her second rank starts are always in danger of being shot out from under her at the worst possible time, and the only really stable level 1 they have is easily shut down by two factions (Freeks and Mercs) and simply gets eaten alive by the Throgs.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

I think Atiratu's issue is that she is no longer the Queen of Cavalry anymore, nor are any Chosen warlords for that matter. Devs just do it better now. They have a stronger rank structure and their big guns are tougher to kill than the Chosen.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Agreed, the Chosen's rank structure sucks, though I understand that's supposed to be their "weakness" to account for their string Thrall eating abilities. And with that and all the ways their starting ranks can just crumble, they have a very hard time fielding the heavy hitting level 4's and 5's they need to make the field competitive.

IMO many of the Chosen characters that need to eat a ready Thrall to work need to be re-evaluated, as that requirement just kills some of these characters anymore.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Thanks to Vic and Fade; great stuff. :thumbsup:

Zargan is in my play group, and I am very much in agreement the Chosen need some rank structure help. I can't remember the last time he bothered with Atiratu; her ranks just fall apart, and even when they don't, spells eat through the planar Daemons.

There was a lot of worry about The Chosen early in 4e (mostly due to Atiratu, and specifically Pago drop), and I wonder how much that stifled their design. They've received some great characters, like Redu Tam and Wailing Scrambler, but they need some help.

● A new level 1 starter that has some form of action stall, like Profit or Genecourt Initiate. A Thrall Brine Fiend would be decent as well, but not in place of, such a starter.

● More Thralls with reacts to dying, not just when they are eaten.

● More character based movement.

● NO MORE eating ready Thralls. Though I think that's long gone by now. :D

As it says up there, I don't play The Chosen...but I'd like to see them be more competitive.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:49 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

It makes a big difference too Bach that we have a playgroup that's fairly heavy in Throgs, and unlike lots of decks I see here, anything the Chosen start must include at least one The Plentiful to survive the Throgs ability to shoot out the second rank. Granted Freeks can do it too, but no as easily as the Throgs can.

Pago bomb (Pagophoros) was a big deal in the beginning of 4E, it was truly terrifying. I don't know how many games I won by just playing Pago and *bam* he's in the front rank ready to beat face. Now, if you do the same thing you run a good chance of getting the movement cancelled or getting spent in the process of moving. OR, the worst is a Dimensional Rift right after you get him to the front rank (and you just killed three READY Thralls to do it. Meaning you just lost since you now probably have some random Thrall holding your front rank and a spent Atiratu in the second rank.

Darkspawn was a good try at giving the Chosen a better level 1 starter, and I have a feeling when they finally get that solid level 1 starter, it's not going to be a Thrall. Which is OK, as I for one never expect to see an awesome level 1 (or 2 for that matter) Thrall. They are just food after all :)

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:25 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Zargan wrote:

Pago bomb (Pagophoros) was a big deal in the beginning of 4E, it was truly terrifying. I don't know how many games I won by just playing Pago and *bam* he's in the front rank ready to beat face. Now, if you do the same thing you run a good chance of getting the movement cancelled or getting spent in the process of moving. OR, the worst is a Dimensional Rift right after you get him to the front rank (and you just killed three READY Thralls to do it. Meaning you just lost since you now probably have some random Thrall holding your front rank and a spent Atiratu in the second rank.

Pagobomb is certainly not a deck for those that are looking for consistency. If you want to have a legitimate shot at winning the game on your first action and are ok with the downside of almost always losing if you can't do this, then pagobomb is the deck for you.

I suppose I could tweek the deck to include Thwarted Beyond ICFV and LIM, Atiratu doesn't really cast much in the deck. That should take care of Dimensional Rift.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:38 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Fade wrote:
I suppose I could tweek the deck to include Thwarted Beyond ICFV and LIM, Atiratu doesn't really cast much in the deck. That should take care of Dimensional Rift.

Only if the caster of D-Rift is spent, no?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:51 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Yes, that is correct. If the person casting D-rift is not spent by the time you get pago to the front and swinging, then you're doing it wrong. :D

My pagobomb is not a search and move deck (ie. accelerated Calvalry.) It's looking for the god hand on turn one.

Essentially something like this:

Pago, Improved Bull Rush, Outmatched, Massacre, Bloodthirsty
or
ICFV, Flame Arrows, Outmatched, Bloodthirsty, Nothrog Ssike
etc.

If my opponent has something to counter me going off on my first action or I don't draw the nuts, then it's on to game two.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next