View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Chosen of 4e: Galem Reth 
Command Staff
Command Staff

Post The Chosen of 4e: Galem Reth

Hi. I'm Bach. I don't play The Chosen.

But you do.

Please fill in the blanks in the posts below, and I'll edit it into this post.

Description
Flavorful description of this Warlord. Include links to high placing tournament decklists.

Common Deck Styles

Card Pool
[Cards marked with a "*" are staple uncommon or common cards, found in almost any style of Galem-Reth deck]
Common Starts

Characters

Actions

Items

Last edited by Draven on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Changed an instance of it refering to sanga-kish instead of galem-reth... Was bugging the hell out of me.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:25 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: The Chosen of 4e: Galem Reth
I'll put in my 2 cents once I go on spring break from college. I'm not as experienced as say Melon when it comes to Galam-Reth, but I've played him a bit. :)

2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:15 pm
n00b
n00b

ALL RIGHT, this is what I am talking about.
Let me tweak a few things and I WILL be back.
We'll see what happens.
I'll even post results of my battles.
- M.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Description
Currently The Chosen's only fighter, Galam-Reth works off of both Thralls and Daemons. He gives himself the ability to buff not only himself, but all other daemons in his army. Thralls are used in order to fuel his slaughter, making him one of the scarier Chosen Warlords
Common Deck Styles
1. Daemon Cavalry
This play style focuses on getting as many daemons onto the field as possible. Nearly all of the daemons have the planer trait, so it makes anyone focusing on a melee or non-spell ranged attacking deck play a lot harder and miss many strikes. Galam-Reth is more used for his orders here to allow his daemons to attack and help them move up then having himself in the front doing the damage.
2. Galam-Reth Blitz
This play style focuses on getting the big man himself up in the front with as much equipment as possible in order for him to do the damage himself. Daemons would be played out of his style, but the character base would mostly be thralls so he could use them for his order.

(That's all I can really think to do with him. Others feel free to post your ideas! :D)

Card Pool
[Cards marked with a "*" are staple uncommon or common cards, found in almost any style of Galem-Reth deck]
Common Starts
Darkspawn x3
Winti x2
Galam-Reth

This start ensures that any further daemons are getting bonuses right away, even if it's a small bonus.

Duanna The Devoted Duanna
Winti Wailing Scrambler
Galam-Reth

This start gets you a good amount of thralls to start to help get your daemons up as quickly as possible.

Characters
Pagophoros As'sa Raging Hungerer Getraxos Are some of the higher level daemons which can use the fighter items that Galam-Reth can use, so including them in a deck you could try both the Cav and Blitz style depending on the draws you get.
The Devoted Winti The Seed Duanna Redu Tam Dala The Promised. Thralls are important to almost any Chosen deck, and Galam-Reth is no exception. Sacrificing thralls such as Redu Tam, Duanna, and Winti allow you to do Galam-Reth's orders along with something else, such as Redu Tam becoming a daemon himself after being sacrificed.
Ygrassyne Amand d'Ilchant Garowl Master Fabas These are a few non-thrall, non-daemon Chosen which could be used with Galam-Reth for their abilities. Ygrassyne can make your daemon's into thralls, giving you more fuel to attack with. Amand can help get your daemons to the front faster.

Will post the Actions and Items at a later time. Did not use any of the new stuff such as Amends when doing this. Hope this helped!

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:31 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

This is exactly what i am looking for. I can copy/paste this from a quote and just clean up language/format, stick it right into the main post.

Thank you Zeath. :thumbsup:

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:52 pm
n00b
n00b

Sorry I didn't finish mine in time. That is perfect, and I agree with it wholeheartedly. Thanks be to Zeath for his wonderful post, I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you still need more 2 cents let me know, but for now I'll withdraw my statement. :)
Again, my mistake, thought I could produce something but its been busy.

- M.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Ok, time to do the items/actions!

Actions
Close Ranks is the best movement for Galam-Reth and most of his daemons. You're going to be killing your own thralls often, so you don't have to wait for your opponent to kill you're guys. Stubborn Is also great movement and a good way to keep your characters up front.

Beyond the Grave BloodthirstyThrustBear's SoulObliterate Outmatched Are all good cards to pick from for strike generation. BtG is one of the better choices since you will be killing your thralls. Might as well have them make a melee strike, right?

Meet at the Inn! helps in the cav style of play. Not drawing cards first turn in that style can be a killer, so this helps with that.

Items
Griffon of Misear Great White Rellion TruebredWar Horse The Dark Horse Stormwolf are all good choices for steeds with Galam-Reth. Rellion can help deal more wounds to those pesky 2-3 HP characters, War Horse and The Dark Horse make your already high attack even higher. Stormwolf helps get your daemons up faster, but is a little harder to equip if you're in any rank but 3.

Wyvern Gem Dragon Buckler Double Bladed Sword Nothrog S'sike Havat-Iahn StanceAxe of Fury are all good choices for offense with Galam-Reth and his daemons. Getting extra strikes helps with Galam's static text of giving daemons extra ATT. Also who doesn't like multi-wounding?

Iridescent Armor Helm of the Deep Fists of KorScale Mail are good choices for protection for Galam and his daemons. Nearly all of the daemons have planer, so anything that gives magic resistance will be a major help. Even with planer they have low AC, so some protection could be the difference between winning and losing a game[/quote]

This list was made up without using the newer cards, since I have not used them or thought of ways to put them in Galam-Reth. Anyone is free to add and edit this as they see fit, as long as it will help people understand how this guy works. Have fun killing your opponents armies with daemons!

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

I have to respectfully disagree slightly on the actions.
Close Ranks is nice if your thralls are up front, but if you're using Redu Tam and The Seed, it only works for the Daemon in the 4th rank. Or Pago w/ his react.
Sudden Reversal, otoh, can protect Galam or another important character And provide off-action movement.

Stubborn is better than both, of course, since it's guaranteed movement early in the game and protection against Icy Surge, Kor's Patience and a half-dozen other popular actions later.

And Beyond the Grave is frequently a game-changer - I would call it mandatory. Not only because you're running a ton of big fighters that are going to die a lot, but because of the power of the As'sa - BtG combo (In case you've never seen it - Use Galam's order on As'sa, who reacts to 'steal' an opposing 4th level fighter for the sacrifice, who plays BtG when sac'ed and makes a two-wound strike into the opposing players ranks - ranks which may have fallen forward a little when the fighter came under your control, exposing their warlord).

It might be worth noting that, I think, most Galam decks run more items than actions.

Nice run-down on the items.
I'd say Griffon, War Horse, and Camel are the most common steeds, with Stormwolf and Wyvernsteed showing up in small numbers (due to the high level, as noted).

And don't ignore the power of Bruntor's Helm. A 4 HP Pago is pretty daunting, even to spell-slingers (esp. with Scale Mail or, my preference, Tower Shield). ;)

From the latest CoG deck, some great stuff:
Cobalt Land Dragon - low-level steed that becomes a strike (and with Ygrassyne, a Thrall) later. Teh awesome.
Commanding Presence - once Galam is up front, this rocks. Nice extra Atk for adjacent characters, plus +1 atk/ac/skill for him for each Daemon in the rank.
Engraved Plate - For a planar character, much better than Scale Mail. No downside.
Greaves - Not the best, given the presence of Stubborn. But not bad.
Gris' Double Bit Axe - I'm on the fence about this one cause of its level. 8th level items are hard for Galam, unless you're running Getraxos, Hungerer and maybe even tend to hold As'sa back to facilitate dropping them into play. (( same problems I have with Dragon Buckler )) But the feats and react are so much fun.
Pyre - Like the Plate above, great for a planar character since it allows react-speed striking when targeted by the one thing you fear.
Red Steel Gauntlets - Gauntlets are pretty uncommon, and this one gives great feats, a great static bonus and a cool order. Teh awesome again.

Goodwife's Parry - nice wound reduction. again, great for planar characters.
Pillage - nice item destruction, with a solid action to use if you're not seeing any front-line items.
Fire and Steel - Considering you've got tools for generating extra strikes (Galam, DBS, BtG, Great White), being able to make each one pseudo-multi-wounding is very nice. You're unlikely to get to use the react, but ranged strikes as spells from a fighter are nice.

Cheers.
-VIC

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Iceman wrote:
I have to respectfully disagree slightly on the actions.
Close Ranks is nice if your thralls are up front, but if you're using Redu Tam and The Seed, it only works for the Daemon in the 4th rank. Or Pago w/ his react.
Sudden Reversal, otoh, can protect Galam or another important character And provide off-action movement.

Stubborn is better than both, of course, since it's guaranteed movement early in the game and protection against Icy Surge, Kor's Patience and a half-dozen other popular actions later.

And Beyond the Grave is frequently a game-changer - I would call it mandatory. Not only because you're running a ton of big fighters that are going to die a lot, but because of the power of the As'sa - BtG combo (In case you've never seen it - Use Galam's order on As'sa, who reacts to 'steal' an opposing 4th level fighter for the sacrifice, who plays BtG when sac'ed and makes a two-wound strike into the opposing players ranks - ranks which may have fallen forward a little when the fighter came under your control, exposing their warlord).

It might be worth noting that, I think, most Galam decks run more items than actions.

Nice run-down on the items.
I'd say Griffon, War Horse, and Camel are the most common steeds, with Stormwolf and Wyvernsteed showing up in small numbers (due to the high level, as noted).

And don't ignore the power of Bruntor's Helm. A 4 HP Pago is pretty daunting, even to spell-slingers (esp. with Scale Mail or, my preference, Tower Shield). ;)

From the latest CoG deck, some great stuff:
Cobalt Land Dragon - low-level steed that becomes a strike (and with Ygrassyne, a Thrall) later. Teh awesome.
Commanding Presence - once Galam is up front, this rocks. Nice extra Atk for adjacent characters, plus +1 atk/ac/skill for him for each Daemon in the rank.
Engraved Plate - For a planar character, much better than Scale Mail. No downside.
Greaves - Not the best, given the presence of Stubborn. But not bad.
Gris' Double Bit Axe - I'm on the fence about this one cause of its level. 8th level items are hard for Galam, unless you're running Getraxos, Hungerer and maybe even tend to hold As'sa back to facilitate dropping them into play. (( same problems I have with Dragon Buckler )) But the feats and react are so much fun.
Pyre - Like the Plate above, great for a planar character since it allows react-speed striking when targeted by the one thing you fear.
Red Steel Gauntlets - Gauntlets are pretty uncommon, and this one gives great feats, a great static bonus and a cool order. Teh awesome again.

Goodwife's Parry - nice wound reduction. again, great for planar characters.
Pillage - nice item destruction, with a solid action to use if you're not seeing any front-line items.
Fire and Steel - Considering you've got tools for generating extra strikes (Galam, DBS, BtG, Great White), being able to make each one pseudo-multi-wounding is very nice. You're unlikely to get to use the react, but ranged strikes as spells from a fighter are nice.

Cheers.
-VIC

This is what this thread is for. Go on and disagree with me all you like. :)

Any movement is good. I just though Close Ranks needed special mention because you'll be killing thralls for a bunch of things anyway, that's why it stuck out for me.

I forgot Bruntor's Helm? Oops XD

Thank you very much for adding more to the thread as well. I personally don't like to put things like "this card needs to go in every Galam-Reth deck" because I feel if someone wants to try something different, let them. I try to give them different options with some opinions.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Close Ranks is solid in Galem. I've run it many times and it either ensures Galem does not get stunned in the front rank (if my ranks crumble), or later on it helps either Bal-Benoth or As'sa get to the front rank faster and ready later in the game. A Close ranks, one low level steed and Galem's order can ensure that either hits the front rank ready the turn you play them.

And Bal is great out of Galem, even though he has a steep cost. But Thralls like Duanna and The Pleantiful work just fine with him, as do Yil Grayl's Thralls since they either have no react or simply react to dying. I've won several games with a decked out Bal next to Galem (who was also dressed) and then drawing a Coordinated Assault. Bal with Full Plate and a Tower Shield is a 21 AC with two huge attacks and powerattack, nothing to sneeze at. And I usually run Wyvern's Gem and Celestial Flame as well for some extra multiwounding.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:48 am
Fails DC 2's
Fails DC 2's

I have one Uthanak's Ring in my deck and find it very helpful. I didn't see anyone else post that anywhere. Also what are peoples feelings about Backbiter? With the majority of swings hitting on evens the -2 isn't that big a deal and for Pagopharos who will never be in the 4th long enough to get Dragon Buckler adds a nice multi wound option for one of the big players in the build deck type.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:46 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I personally think Backbiter will be very very good in this deck type. Multiwounding was a problem and that one item solves it quite nicely.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

I like the idea of Galam, and I've seen it work out pretty well but all I can get him to do is spend/stun forward and die. Help?

Darkspawn x2, Devoted
Wailing Scrambler, The Plentiful (insurance against 2nd-rank attacks)
Galam

Characters:
Redu Tam x2 (still have to get a 3rd, they're all in Nin-Gula :D )
Pagophoros x3
Pazu-Gara x3
Bal-Benoth x1
Raging Hungerer x1
The Devoted x2
As'sa x1
Ygrassyne x2
The Seed x1
Winti x2

Items:
Common Blade x3
Axe of Tergoth x2
Cobalt Land Dragon x3 (more strikes)
Griffon of Misear x2
Breastplate of Power x1
Commanding Presence x2
Engraved Plate x2 (anti-wizzy)
Helm of the Deep x2 (easy-to-equip Magic Resistance)
Frostscale x2 (more anti-spell meta)

Actons:
Close Ranks x3 (AMAZING for Chosen fighters)
Beyond the Grave x2
I Have Your Back x2

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:08 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Try to double up on As'sa and Bal. And get Yil Grayl in there, as well as some Duanna's. Duanna is a Bear's Soul or movement in a character in Galem, you'll get good mileage out of her and she helps to solve the Thrall problem in Galem. I also personally ditched the Devoted in the start and just went with 3 Darkspawns. I also only went for the level 4 characters and did not include Pago because he's too Thrall hungry, but I did use Bar'rax who's not bad but sometimes can be a pain to play at times.

I'd also replace Common Blade with backbiter, though you may not need three of them. Drop the BoP and go 3 Engraved Plate, that card is super awesome. And I think you need more react speed movement, stuff like Sudden Reversal instead of some of the steeds. And finally you have to run Stubborn if you use Backbiter (or maybe Defy the Chains) and Bruntor's Helm is a must. Galem should have been printed with 4 HPs, but alas he was not, so you ned to add it for him :)

And Wyvern's Gem can come in very handy for those times when you don't draw backbiter early.

Tue May 03, 2011 12:47 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Zargan wrote:
Try to double up on As'sa and Bal. And get Yil Grayl in there, as well as some Duanna's. Duanna is a Bear's Soul or movement in a character in Galem, you'll get good mileage out of her and she helps to solve the Thrall problem in Galem. I also personally ditched the Devoted in the start and just went with 3 Darkspawns. I also only went for the level 4 characters and did not include Pago because he's too Thrall hungry, but I did use Bar'rax who's not bad but sometimes can be a pain to play at times.

I'd also replace Common Blade with backbiter, though you may not need three of them. Drop the BoP and go 3 Engraved Plate, that card is super awesome. And I think you need more react speed movement, stuff like Sudden Reversal instead of some of the steeds. And finally you have to run Stubborn if you use Backbiter (or maybe Defy the Chains) and Bruntor's Helm is a must. Galem should have been printed with 4 HPs, but alas he was not, so you ned to add it for him :)

And Wyvern's Gem can come in very handy for those times when you don't draw backbiter early.

So maybe something more like:

Darkspawn x3
Wailing Scrambler, The Plentiful (insurance against 2nd-rank attacks)
Galam

Characters:
Redu Tam x3
Duanna x3
As'sa x3 (solves the thrall-hunger problem)
Ygrassyne x3
The Seed x3
Bal-Benoth x2
Raging Hungerer x1
Yil-"ZOMG I accidentally ate my Iridescent Armor to move up"-Grayl x1

Items:
Backbiter x2
Axe of Tergoth x2
Griffon of Misear x2
Commanding Presence x2
Engraved Plate x3 (anti-wizzy)
Bruntor's Helm x2
Frostscale x2 (more anti-spell meta)

Actons:
Sudden Reversal x3
Close Ranks x3 (AMAZING for Chosen fighters)
Beyond the Grave x2
Stubborn x2

Tue May 03, 2011 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next