View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Chosen of 4e: Galem Reth 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: The Chosen of 4e: Galem Reth
I am surprised no one else likes to toss Krenthor's Maw on their planar demons for LOLZ and extra strikes, if someone misses you you can opt react and you and riposte or do one then the other, etc. . . I love this shield for this deck

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:39 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

When I get a chance I'm going to try and update the write up with everyone's input. Try and clean it up and put it at the front of the thread rather then a bunch of posts down.

2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:01 pm
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Restomagus wrote:
I am surprised no one else likes to toss Krenthor's Maw on their planar demons for LOLZ and extra strikes, if someone misses you you can opt react and you and riposte or do one then the other, etc. . . I love this shield for this deck

Cause it's 7th level. :(

I prefer Tower Shield for it's ability to negate or at least seriously challenge the Big Strike.
Or no shields at all, due to Backbiter's traits.

-VIC

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:04 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Description
Currently The Chosen's only fighter, Galam-Reth works off of both Thralls and Daemons. He has the ability to buff not only himself, but all other daemons in his army. Thralls are used in order to fuel his slaughter, making him one of the scarier Chosen Warlords. One major downside to him is discard pile hate. There are many ways which opposing warlords can removes cards from your discard pile, so it's possible for you to lose your bonus to Galam and his deamons.
Common Deck Styles
1. Daemon Cavalry
This play style focuses on getting as many daemons onto the field as possible. Nearly all of the daemons have the planer trait, so it makes anyone focusing on a melee or non-spell ranged attacking deck play a lot harder and miss many strikes. Galam-Reth is more used for his orders here to allow his daemons to attack and help them move up then having himself in the front doing the damage.
2. Galam-Reth Blitz
This play style focuses on getting the big man himself up in the front with as much equipment as possible in order for him to do the damage himself. Daemons would be played out of his style, but the character base would mostly be thralls so he could use them for his order.

(That's all I can really think to do with him. Others feel free to post your ideas! )

Card Pool
[Cards marked with a "*" are staple uncommon or common cards, found in almost any style of Galem-Reth deck]
Common Starts
Darkspawn x3
Winti x2
Galam-Reth

This start ensures that any further daemons are getting bonuses right away, even if it's a small bonus.

Duanna The Devoted Duanna
Winti Wailing Scrambler
Galam-Reth

This start gets you a good amount of thralls to start to help get your daemons up as quickly as possible.

Characters
Pagophoros The Pago-bomb!
As'sa* Turn your opponents into your thralls and make them your fuel!
Raging Hungerer Straight up beatstick with built in movement
Getraxos Same as the Hungerer
Bal-Benoth Big guy, but with a downside of having to kill someone to play him.

The Devoted Rank holder, and that's pretty much his only job.
Winti Pew pew!
The SeedAny thrall which you can kill twice is amazing.
Duanna Recurring thrall
Redu Tam* Kill him and make him a big, bad deamon! He still keeps his thrall trait as well, so he can be killed again if needed.
Dala Movement for the deamons
Amends – Mainly for the blitz style. An attack without spending is HUGE!
Harem Guard – This is specifically for Galam blitz. It's a Bear's Soul in a character slot, which is pure awesome.
The Promised– Deamon recursion. Haven't seen her used in a Galam deck yet, but it's an idea.
Thralls are important to almost any Chosen deck, and Galam-Reth is no exception. Sacrificing thralls such as Redu Tam, Duanna, and Winti allow you to do Galam-Reth's orders along with something else, such as Redu Tam becoming a daemon himself after being sacrificed.

Ygrassyne*
Amand d'Ilchant
Garowl
Master Fabas
Mistress Sanai – Ready tech and mini Ygrassyne
These are a few non-thrall, non-daemon Chosen which could be used with Galam-Reth for their abilities. Ygrassyne can make your daemon's into thralls, giving you more fuel to attack with. Amand can help get your daemons to the front faster.

Actions
Close Ranks is the best movement for Galam-Reth and most of his daemons. You're going to be killing your own thralls often, so you don't have to wait for your opponent to kill you're guys.
Stubborn* Is also great movement and a good way to keep your characters up front.
Sudden Reversalcan save your butt quickly and often, as well as getting your big guys up front swinging quickly.

Beyond the Grave* is amazing with both deck styles. It's especially good if you use combo it with As'sa to make the opposing level 4 character smack someone deeper in their ranks!
Bloodthirsty, Thrust, Outmatched Your basic strike generation.
Bear's Soul, Obliterate Are only really good out of the blitz style of Galam, though some of the higher level deamons could possibly Obliterate, like Raging Hungerer or Getraxos.

Meet at the Inn! helps in the cav style of play. Not drawing cards first turn in that style can be a killer, so this helps with that.
Coup d'arret – Strike cancellation and possible attack. Great with the bigger deamons.
Goodwife's Parry - nice wound reduction. Great for planar characters since they don't need the AC as much.
Pillage - nice item destruction, with a solid action to use if you're not seeing any front-line items.
Fire and Steel - Considering you've got tools for generating extra strikes (Galam, DBS, BtG, Great White), being able to make each one pseudo-multi-wounding is very nice. You're unlikely to get to use the react, but ranged strikes as spells from a fighter are nice.

Items
Griffon of Misear* React speed movement.
Great White Extra strike generation after you reach the front.
Rellion Truebred Multi-wounding when not using it to move
War Horse Make yourself big and beefy when not using it to move
The Dark Horse Move and make yourself big!
Stormwolf A little harder to equip since it's level 8, but amazing if you're running the cav style
CamelEasy to equip steed that can ready an item if you do that type of thing.
Cobalt Land Dragon - low-level steed that becomes a strike (and with Ygrassyne, a Thrall) later. Teh awesome.

Wyvern Gem because who doesn't love extra multi-wounding?
Dragon Buckler Again, multi-wounding with the added bonus of being item destruction.
Double Bladed Sword Only really for lucky people, but decent strike generation if you're having a hard time getting the harder hitting weapons.
Nothrog S'sike Kinda eh as far as weapons go, but extra strike generation is nice.
Havat-Iahn Stance More strike generation.
Axe of FuryPowerattack plus extra protection and attack when you kill something.
Backbiter – With the large bonuses from deamons in the discard you shouldn't worry too much about missing with this weapon.
Pyre - Like the Plate above, great for a planar character since it allows react-speed striking when targeted by the one thing you fear.
Gris' Double Bit Axe - I'm on the fence about this one cause of its level. 8th level items are hard for Galam, unless you're running Getraxos, Hungerer and maybe even tend to hold As'sa back to facilitate dropping them into play. (( same problems I have with Dragon Buckler )) But the feats and react are so much fun.

Iridescent Armor +1 HP and magic resistance? Hell yes!
Helm of the Deep Easy magic resistance.
Fists of Kor When dealing with other planer people.
Scale Mail Extra bonuses to ranged attacks and easy to equip.
Engraved Plate - For a planar character, much better than Scale Mail. No downside.
Bruntor's Helm Extra wounds making your deamons harder to deal with.
Red Steel Gauntlets - Gauntlets are pretty uncommon, and this one gives great feats, a great static bonus and a cool order. Teh awesome again.
Nearly all of the daemons have planer, so anything that gives magic resistance will be a major help. Even with planer they have low AC, so some protection could be the difference between winning and losing a game.

Commanding Presence - once Galam is up front, this rocks. Nice extra Atk for adjacent characters, plus +1 atk/ac/skill for him for each Daemon in the rank.
Greaves- Not the best, given the presence of Stubborn. But not bad.

(Thank you to everyone who helped make this list! Will be editing in the future. Also still working on ideas for the blitz style)

Now, could someone put that in the first post so people don't need to go to the end to see it? :lol:

2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:19 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Galem did well for me for my 1st time trying him with new cards out of the new freek paladin and ancient lore sets. he still needs some tweaking but he had no trouble taking down 2 different drasek dragon decks (the one with r'veeka was a bit harder to deal with). I got 1 kill on Naram-Sin then lost to him twice, and kerebrus raped galem pretty hard but was left wounded and shaking in his boots. After the tourney I faced off against an Iron Golem overlord challenge for the 1st time ever. I do not think the iron golem deck had anything out of the new freek paladin or ancient lore decks, and I killed him turn 2!

Here is the decklist I used, below it I will describe changes being tried out.
Edit: actual decklist:

total characters 15
Starting army: Galem reth 3x Mitrasz (they hold rank damn well), 1x the earth, 1x wailing scrambler

Extra characters:
3x redu carr
3x amends
3x redu zayd

Items: (17)
2x dragon buckler
2x great white
2x blood god's basinet
2x fiendish plate (if you have this out turn 1 you can easily get 7 charges 1st turn with only 1 movement card, I got it up to 19 charges in 1 game, this thing is galem's shiny new everything, might make it a 3 of . . .)
1x ghoststeel gauntlets (with the fiendish plate charges + a dead wailing scrambler these + 0's hit +10 or better very very quickly)
1x common blade
1x greaves
1x griffon of misear
1x Wyvern Gem
1x belt of bear
1x panthera (this familiar is fantastic, plain and simple)
1x Collar of Damnation (this card is meta right now, and came in handy against every match up I mentioned except for kerebrus)
1x Havat-lahn Stance

Actions: (18)
3x thrust
3x bear's soul
1x Twist the Blade
2x a single motion
2x superior armament (with all the items out plus this action galem hits armor 35 or so, ridiculous!)
2x heart of the warrior
3x risk's reward
2x bellicose

All in all this deck was a lot of fun to play. I plan on dropping twist the blade, both great whites and both dragon bucklers, adding a 2nd griffin, 1x camel (to ready aspis or panthera :drool:, maybe even greaves), a 2nd common blade, 1x aspis (would have come in handy against all decks except kerebrus that I faced) and a 3rd bellicose

Last edited by Restomagus on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Restomagus wrote:
Galem did well for me for my 1st time trying him with new cards out of the new freek paladin and ancient lore sets. he still needs some tweaking but he had no trouble taking down 2 different drasek dragon decks (the one with r'veeka was a bit harder to deal with). I got 1 kill on Naram-Sin then lost to him twice, and kerebrus raped galem pretty hard but was left wounded and shaking in his boots. After the tourney I faced off against an Iron Golem overlord challenge for the 1st time ever. I do not think the iron golem deck had anything out of the new freek paladin or ancient lore decks, and I killed him turn 2!

Here is the decklist I used, below it I will describe changes being tried out. (the deck is actually missing at the moment, so this list is simply from memory and I only remember 49 of the cards off hand so anything could have had a 2nd or 3rd copy, or possibly there is another 1 of card that I am forgetting)

total characters 15
Starting army: Galem reth 3x Mitrasz (they hold rank damn well), 1x the earth, 1x wailing scrambler

Extra characters:
3x redu carr
3x amends
3x redu zayd

Items: (17)
2x dragon buckler
2x great white
2x blood god's basinet
2x fiendish plate (if you have this out turn 1 you can easily get 7 charges 1st turn with only 1 movement card, I got it up to 19 charges in 1 game, this thing is galem's shiny new everything, might make it a 3 of . . .)
1x ghoststeel gauntlets (with the fiendish plate charges + a dead wailing scrambler these + 0's hit +10 or better very very quickly)
1x common blade
1x greaves
1x griffon of misear
1x Wyvern Gem
1x belt of bear
1x panthera (this familiar is fantastic, plain and simple)
1x Collar of Damnation (this card is meta right now, and came in handy against every match up I mentioned except for kerebrus)
1x Havat-lahn Stance

Actions: (17)
3x thrust
3x bear's soul
1x Twist the Blade
2x a single motion
2x superior armament (with all the items out plus this action galem hits armor 35 or so, ridiculous!)
2x heart of the warrior
2x risk's reward
2x bellicose

All in all this deck was a lot of fun to play. I plan on dropping twist the blade and dragon bucklers, adding a 2nd griffin, a 2nd common blade, and a shield, either aspis (would have come in handy against all decks except kerebrus that I faced) or frostscale. common blade gets way way stronger than dragon buckler (minus the dragon buckler's react).

Big props on this one, that deck looked MEAN! And Galam goes around killing things all willy-nilly, so the charges get silly. Any thought on using Redu Tam? He's a free kill whenever you need him.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

@ Oremm: the characters I wanted to fit but did not are as follows:
harem guard, redu tam both for more swings
Mistress Alhana to buff armor but it would slow the deck down
Mistress Sanai, with the redu zayds this has the potential to ready galem a couple of times, but I think this is unreliable at best and there is not enough rank support for level 4's (I sometimes only had 1 rank and a redu carr in hand as it is)
I also consider in every chosen deck playing Shan-Kassyn for card swapping, I just feel she is better out of other deck styles.

If anything I want more card draw to get my items out faster, hence I am adding a 3rd risk's reward. If I had more multiples of items for slots I might even run faith in steel, but I don't have the items to make it worth while, and even worse he's not a paladin so it would be super unreliable.

Also, I may have played something wrong at the tourney, apparently in rules forum (at least for now) it is being said that fiendish plate prevents its wearer from using normal movement by spending to move backward 1 rank. I know that in 2 games I moved back for the sake of equipping a blood god's basinet, and in 1 of those games I know for certain I had no armor on at the time, I do not recall about the other game. I am glad that these rules questions are coming up now before the winter events to work out the kinks in the new environment.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

BUMP* edited post on decklist with the actual deck list I played and the changes I am making before next game. All in all the deck I ran I was damn proud of for having had no play test with other people and only a few games against my own yvaalis deck prior to tourney day. Looking forward to the deck playing out a little better (I hope)

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2